Saturday, June 8, 2013

Grateful

My fiancé's parents are getting us a new washer and dryer for our wedding! Last night we went shopping with my future mother-in-law for them. We looked at all sorts of different kinds of washers and dryers: with or without fabric softener, digital or knobs, and top loaders vs. front loaders. We ended up settling on a really great Whirlpool set that saves water, energy, and doesn't have more digital technology than the first moon lander.

Through all of this, though, I had a thought: a decade ago, I was thrilled that we had a wringer in Vanuatu to wring out our hand-washed clothes instead of having to wring them out by hand before hanging them to dry. We always washed our clothes by hand in Vanuatu--there wasn't electricity to run a washer. And drying them, well, that's what a clothesline was for!

So, today I am grateful to have been born here. Even though I have all these awful medical things "wrong" with me, I won the genetic lottery: I live in a country that allows me to be successful, rich (compared to 5/6 of the world), and very picky about things that people in other countries can't even imagine.

Be grateful.

"Be the change you wish to see in the world." --Gandhi

No comments:

Post a Comment