Monday, October 28, 2013

To College Students

I was in school at the University of Louisville for five years, getting my undergrad in music education. I did all the "normal" college things: went out with friends, went to class most of the time, had fun, and learned a lot. I graduated in 2012 and haven't been back very much since then. 

By chance--well, by scheduling problems--I ended up back at the School of Music the other day waiting for my sister. I was planning on just hanging out in the music library until she came to pick me up. To my delight, though, the tenor and baritone professors were giving a joint concert! I sat in the back of the concert hall while I waited for my sister to pick me up and had these thoughts that I wanted to share with every college student:
  • During college, you are surrounded by professionals who are highly respected in their fields and who want to share what they know with you. Take the time to learn from them! Don't just go to class--go to office hours, pick their brains, and make connections that will last. For most of you, this is the one time in your life that you will have access to these people--use them! It's what they signed up for!
  • Stay focused. It's so easy to get sidetracked in college! There are a million things to do besides anything that has to do with your future goals. Keep your eye on the prize and work for it. You will always have the opportunity to make friends and go out; you will not always have the opportunity to get a great education and take the amazing classes you have access to.
  • Take the time to stay in love with your major. Getting to hear the concert at my alma mater made me remember how much I love music. When I was in college, it always felt like music was a chore: one more concert that takes my evening away, one more solo piece to learn on top of everything else I have to do, one more set of instrument fingerings to cram into my already full brain. I rarely felt as moved by music in college as I did the other night, listening to those two amazing professors. Take a step back every now and again and remember the reason you wanted to major in the subject you chose.
All of this might sound a little sappy, but seriously, take advantage of where you are. I've been out of college for 18 months and can't tell you how much I'd change if I got to do it over again. I had a great college experience, don't get me wrong, but there is so much that I still want to learn and had the chance to learn--and didn't!

"Be the change you wish to see in the world." --Gandhi

No comments:

Post a Comment