Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Lent: Channel Your Inner Christ

The Christian observation of Lent starts tomorrow. The purpose of Lent is to prepare the Christian faithful for the coming and resurrection of Christ (aka Easter). It is tradition that one gives up something during the 40 day long observation; thus removing worldly distractions, allowing the faithful to focus.

I've done the Mardi Gras thing before: dinner at Qdoba, dessert from Dairy Queen, and evening snack from Wendy's. Then the next day I give up fast food for Lent. I've done this the last three or four years with my sister. Neither of us actually likes fast food (I think the last time I had a Big Mac was four or five years ago), but we get a lot of attention and makes us look amazing for giving up something that most people couldn't.

But I have a different idea for Lent this year: instead of giving something up, I'm going to give something away or do something unexpectedly kind for someone every day of Lent this year. If the point of Lent is to pay attention to how Christ lived, then maybe instead of depriving ourselves of something (although I know it's a reference to the 40 days in the desert) we could give, like he did. It turns the act of being Christ-like from focusing on ourselves to helping other people. If I gave something up for Lent, I would only affect myself. If I do something kind or give something away to someone different every day of Lent, I can touch 40 people's lives. (And, as a side note, if Jesus had his second coming in the next 40 days, don't you think he'd rather see us being kind to each other than depriving ourselves of things?)

So, in this vein, I guess that means that Mardi Gras (today) can be about me! Today I will be selfish and spend the whole day (well, part of it at least!) doing what I want to do. I'm going to work on my rehearsal dress, my wedding invitations, and I might even give myself a manicure. :-)

What are you going to do for Lent? What will you give up or what kind things will you do? I'm going to give weekly updates on my Lenten endeavors and I'd love to hear your stories, too!

"Be the change you wish to see in the world." --Gandhi

No comments:

Post a Comment