Thursday, January 3, 2013

Pursue Quietness

I grew up in a rather old-fashioned household by modern standards: no TV out in the country. My parents still don't have cable and only rarely watch movies. Over the holiday break I stayed at my parents' house in Louisville for a few days before traveling to Wisconsin with my fiancĂ© and his family. The quietness we had over the vacation was incredible! It was so nice to all be in the same room with conversations and handcrafts going quietly, without constant noise from a television set in the background.

While we were in Wisconsin, we visited my fiancĂ©'s family's farm that has been in the family since the mid-1800s. The stillness out in the country was perfect. No televisions, no societal pressures, no extra worries. 

Coming back to "reality" has been difficult. Since I blog, I'm always on my computer, always watching the news, always on my phone, checking my tweets, posting status updates, etc. It's insane how much I pay attention to things other people are doing, what other people are saying, and allowing other people's stories to invade my life and my "job." My anxiety levels (and pain levels) have definitely increased since we got home because I'm being inundated with news of economic woes, health concerns, and wars. Finding quiet is incredibly hard.

One of my New Year's resolutions is to pursue quietness every day. I've changed up my routine a little bit to accommodate that: instead of starting my day with the news and blogging, I'm starting it with yoga and a healthy breakfast. I have a set (albeit flexible) schedule now instead of just having ideas of things I want to do and not really having a defined way to get there. Being more organized and rethinking my priorities allows me to find quiet. I can take 20 minutes here and there to knit, play piano after I eat lunch, or take a quick nap without feeling guilty about it. 

Today find quietness, however you can. 

"Be the change you wish to see in the world." --Gandhi

2 comments:

  1. You were lamenting that you were losing #'s of people looking at your blog several weeks ago. May I offer some insight? You don't answer any of the persons who take the time to 'dialog' with you any more in their replies. Just an observation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so aware that my replying to comments has slackened off; I was incapacitated for a month and then I was on vacation with my family. Now that the new year has started and I'm getting back in my routine without trying new treatments, I will have more time to answer comments.

      Delete