Thursday, January 10, 2013

The Oscars: Live-Tweets and Snubs

This morning I decided to try my hand at "live-tweeting" an event: the Oscar nominations! I'm not sure why I can't get these tweets to line up with the oldest first, but c'est la vie. So scroll down to the bottom of this group of tweets and read up from there, please.


Well, that's it for my  Live-Tweet! See you all soon! :-D Stay tuned for more!
Best Director: Again, Tossup...but Ben Affleck and Katherine Bigelow NOT ??! 
BestPicture: Lincoln, Les Mis, Argo. 3-Way Tie is my vote! :-) All FANTASTIC films! 
Best Actor : Did  really not get nominated?? 
Best Actor: Daniel Day Lewis (Like a LOT), Hugh Jackman (LOVE), and Denzel Washington (LIke) are going to be the tops I think!
Original screenplay? Tossup to me...
Lincoln and Argo are going to duke it out for best adapted screenplay! 
Didn't watch any of the  foreign films either...
Didn't watch any of the  animated films...hmm...maybe I'm not such a good film critic haha
Supporting actor: Can't wait for Tommy Lee Jones and Alan Arkin--LOVE both of them! 
For supporting actress, Anne Hathaway and Sally Field are going to be head to head...stiff competition! 
And, the full list of  is... here: 
So, in retrospect, DEFINITELY hyped for "Skyfall" in the song category 



Yay!!!  on  my first live-tweeting event I king of crashed and burned a couple times, but oh well haha Thanks for joining me!
Picture: BeastsofSWild, SilverLInings, 0Dark30, Lincoln, LesMis, Life of Pi, Amour, Django, Argo WOW GREAT Choices! 
ACTRESS: NaomiWatts, Jessica Chastain, Lawrence, Riva, Wallis
ACTOR: DDL, Denzel, Hugh, Brad Cooper, Joaquin Phoenix
Director: Stephen Spielberg, David Russel, Ang Lee, and a couple others aaaahhh getting behind
Original Screenplay: Flight, 0Dark30, Amour, Moonrise Kingdon, Django
Adapted ScreenPlay: Argo, Lincoln, Silverlinings Playbook, Life of Pi, Beasts of Southern...
Foreign Language: Amour, No, War Witch, A Royal Affair, Kon Tiki
Animated Feature: Frankenweenie, Pirates, Wreckit Ralph, Brave, Paranorman
Supporting Actress: Sally Field, Jacki Weaver, Helen Hunt, Amy Adams, Anne Hathaway
Original Song: "Before my Time" "Pi's Lullaby" "Suddenly" "Everybody Needs a Best Friend" "Skyfall" 
Supporting Actor: Christoph Walz, Phillip Seymore Hoffman, De Niro, Alan Arkin, and Tommy Lee Jones 
Aww, I miss Emma's red hair... 
Last-minute predictions on : Best actor:  and Daniel Day Lewis...love both of them! 


Last-minute presictions on : Best Supporting Actress: Anne Hathaway against Sally Field (YIKES--both so good!)
Last-minute predictions on : Les Mis, Lincoln, and Zero Dark Thirty for best picture
Whoohoo!!! Here we go:  !!! 5:30am in Beverly Hills...props to them for getting up so early! haha


Start here and read up. Then come back to finish reading this post! 

You're back! I wasn't exactly the best when it came to the live-tweeting, but it was fun because I knew that I was getting the nominations out there within five seconds of them being announced! Twitter, however, was apparently less than amused:


Interesting...my account got suspended for "abusing the trend with unrelated things" what?!? How do you live-tweet without the hashtag??


How do you live-tweet without "abusing the trend?" How can you have a "trend" if you're not allowed to go nuts with it and live-tweet? Things to learn in the technological world of Twitter...

So let's get back to the nominations: the three categories I am the most excited about are Best Supporting Actress, Best Actor, Best Picture.

Best Supporting Actress
Anne Hathaway is absolutely incredible in "Les Miserables." Phenomenal. Her song "I Dreamed a Dream" left me (and every other person in the theater) in tears; she's just so moving! I think it's so fantastic that her breakout role as Princess Mia and "The Princess Diaries" hasn't made her a type-cast. She was great in that movie, but she's just incredible at everything: comedy (SNL), fun roles ("The Princess Diaries" and "The Devil Wears Prada"), and singing and intense roles ("Les Miserables"). She is brilliant, and I am so glad she's getting recognized for this! All that, and every time she does an interview, her mannerisms remind me of my older sister and I love that!

Sally Field is also absolutely incredible in "Lincoln." Just brilliant. I have loved her in everything she's done and this was no exception. This is definitely one of the better roles she's had, even though it's "just" a supporting role. She was great!

Best Actor
Hugh Jackman. Ah. May. Zing. Jackman as Jean Valjean is insanely good. He has a voice that I never expected from him. Ever. I mean, the first thing I saw him in was "X-Men" as Wolverine. Love. I absolutely adored "X-Men Origins: Wolverine." He's incredible! So then when I realized it was he who had been cast in "Les Miserables" I was very skeptical. But, he was great. I so hope he wins!

I also hope Daniel Day Lewis wins (why can't there be a tie?!). Lincoln was a brilliant, brilliant film and Lewis brought the best possible Lincoln there could ever be. He was just so good! Love him.

Denzel Washington is wonderful and he definitely is going to be in the running for the win!

Seems like my favorite in this category is kind of obvious...hmm.

Best Picture
"Les Miserables" is the best film I have seen in a very long time. Maybe ever. I have never been more emotionally exhausted when leaving a theater than I was after this movie. We were supposed to go to dinner and all I wanted to do was go take a nap and keep crying! The direction of it, the music, the screenplay, the acting, the way they filmed it, the singing, the costumes...there was no part of that movie that left me wishing for more or something else. It was brilliant. I know that some critics are wishing the singing had been more polished--no. It was raw, it was real, and it was really good. There is nothing I would have changed. I really want this to win "Best Picture" because it was just fantastic.

"Agro" was another emotionally charged movie that was very good. I was so incredibly impressed with Ben Affleck! Fantastic job! Wonderful story. Great piece of history with a wonderful movie to tell it. I will be happy if this wins, but not as happy as I will be if "Les Mis" wins.

"Lincoln" was great! These historical films were just wonderful this year! Again, worthy of an Oscar, but not the same year as "Les Mis."

I think the category that may garner the most attention is the "snubbed" category:
Tom Hooper, Director of "Les Miserables"--are you kidding me?! How can it be up for "Best Picture" and the director not be included? That film has amazing actors, incredible music, brilliant filming...but the director is the one who pulls it all together. The Academy missed the boat on that one.
Russell Crowe, Javert in "Les Miserables"--really??! Best Supporting Actor should be his. That was a wonderful role portrayed by a wonderful actor! I guess he and Hooper can have an alternative Oscar party...what a shame.
Ben Affleck, Director of and Lead Actor in "Argo"--Academy, seriously?!! This is one of the most different, best roles he has ever done and the directing was amazing! How does he get completely left out of the nominations? Definitely not cool.
Leonardo DiCaprio, in "Django Unchained"--full disclosure: I haven't seen this movie yet. Reason I'm upset about it: literally everyone loved him in it. Everyone. I can't wait to see this movie. Academy, you do not snub DiCaprio.
Kathryn Bigelow, Director of "Zero Dark Thirty"--full disclosure: I haven't seen this yet either, because I will not be able to handle the level of violence in this movie on the big screen. Waiting for the DVD. But, from what I've hear about it, it's a brilliant movie and from what the media is saying, she had to go through a bunch of crap to get cooperation from the government on this. Between Bigelow and Affleck, is the Acedemy snubbing directors of American political situations? Who knows...

So that's my take on all the nominees! Can't wait until February 24!

"Be the change you wish to see in the world." --Gandhi

No comments:

Post a Comment