Friday, December 14, 2012

6 Gifts Men Really Want

When Christmas rolls around, I find that the men on my list are the hardest to shop for. Here are 6 things that prove to always be opened with a big smile.

1. What they have specifically asked for. A lot of time we lovely women think we know best (we're usually right!). When it comes to gifts, though, if the man in your life has specifically said, "I would really like _______ for Christmas," that's what he wants. Really. Even if we think it's incredibly low-key or we don't understand why he could want something like that, it's what he wants and he'll love it!

2. Something that hearkens back to their childhood. Last year I got my fiancĂ© a University of North Dakota Fighting Sioux hockey jersey. He grew up in North Dakota and went to their hockey games with his family when he was young. UND just had to relinquish the name "Fighting Sioux" for political correctness reasons and I knew I wouldn't be able to get him something after the name was changed. I loved getting to see his face when he opened it! He didn't expect it and he's worn it all year.

3. Little things they wouldn't buy for themselves. Stocking stuffers can get expensive with guys, especially if they're techies. So forego the tiny expensive things and get a few stuffers they would never  even think of, but will enjoy: backscratcher brush for the shower, nail clippers that they can keep exclusively in their bathroom so they don't take yours, little bags of their favorite snacks, scented candle for their bathroom, pens (they always lose pens!), or an iTunes gift card.

4. Something that you don't necessarily like, but they do. Giving gifts is all about giving something that you know the other person will love. The first birthday my fiancĂ© had when we were dating, I got him a Tempurpedic pillow. Boring, right?! But I knew he would love it; and he did! He still sleeps on it every night.

5. Handmade gifts from the heart. I know this might sound like something "lame" for guys, but it's really not. I made my future father-in-law a scarf last year and he loved it! Photo albums, old letters, and scrapbooks are other ways to show that you care. Coupon books for the leading gentleman in your life are always a hit.

6. Homemade food. We've all heard the saying, "The way to a man's heart is through his stomach." It's true. If you give them homemade food, of any sort, done up in a festive way, it will be appreciated by being eaten by lunch time...!

Have a great holiday weekend! Coming on Monday: 5 Easy Handmade Holiday Gifts.

"Be the change you wish to see in the world." --Gandhi

No comments:

Post a Comment