Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Clear Out Your Closet this Holiday Season!

Every fall I look forward to unpacking my winter clothes and putting on my favorite soft sweaters. I love the warm feeling I get on those cold, rainy days with my old friendly sweaters.

This year is the first winter I've unpacked my sweaters and gotten an unfriendly surprise: the sweater I still have from high school doesn't fit anymore. It's turned into a bit of a belly shirt; or belly sweater, as the case may be. I love this sweater! It's a warm purple color and it's so soft. I love it because it just fits perfectly with the fall colors.

I decided I wasn't going to give up without a fight. I put a cami on under the sweater. That way, the sweater could ride up and I wouldn't show my stomach. Perfect. And then I looked in the mirror. Not so perfect. And did I just say that it would be perfect to allow my sweater to "ride up"?! My god, that is so disgusting.

This sweater is the one I wore in high school to look cute. Now, I'm engaged and have a college degree. New life, new sweater. What else do I have that I have clung to because it was so perfect?

I started going through my clothes and found all sorts of things that I never wear anymore, but I have great memories about, so I've kept them: my first ballroom Latin competition skirt, a few very sparkly dresses, sky-high heels, some amazing graphic tees, a few suits, and some really short shorts.

Less than half of my closet...so many clothes!
It's amazing how many things I don't wear, but still have. I can always use the But-What-If-I-Need-It-Again argument to talk myself into keeping all my clothes.

But what if someone else can use my clothes right now? I think it's probably more important to share my clothes with other people than keep them in my closet or boxes. So I'll donate some of them. After all, it is the season of giving. :)

Do you have clothes you aren't using this season? Donate them! There are always people who need clothes more than we, who are so lucky to have the luxury of excess. Find your local Goodwill or Salvation Army and drop off your clothes!

"Be the change you wish to see in the world." --Gandhi

No comments:

Post a Comment