Thursday, December 6, 2012

Cultural Interest: Sex or Quality Stories?

I guess I should be happy that I'm getting a spike in traffic right now. The frustrating thing is, though, that yesterday the post I wrote a long time ago about Victoria's Secret models has gotten over nine times the traffic the post I wrote yesterday about family has gotten. For those of you who have forgotten what post I'm talking about, here is the link to the original post.

Now, while I admit that my writing has faltered in quality a bit over the last month due to a medication I'm trying out for my fibromyalgia, overall what I write is pretty good quality. Conversational, yes, and so a little more casual than some people like, but overall, decent quality. I also admit that I like couture fashion and, therefore, support the fashion industry. I am so frustrated, though, with the fact that 90% naked underfed women are getting this much attention for walking in a straight line down a catwalk and back up the catwalk while I work my butt off and go essentially unnoticed unless I have a post in which I am 90% naked (not something I'm really into).

I don't necessarily want to be famous. I don't want "celebrity status." I don't want to have to hide from paparazzi. I just wish that our society cared more about quality work that actually matters instead of 5'11" girls with concave stomachs who wear bedazzled wings and lingerie. I know this sounds like a massive case of envy, but it's not. I've done the super-skinny thing, and I'm fine. I don't need to do that anymore. What this little penned outburst is about is that our society doesn't care about what we need to care about when it comes to thriving and not just surviving (cliche, I know, but it's what I mean).

I think when Hurricane Sandy tore up the Northeast we all saw how people of every tax bracket and political party and race and sexual orientation came together and helped the people who needed help, no matter who they were. Going back even further, I think we all saw the nation come together right after the 9/11 attacks happened. The thing is, though, it shouldn't take a catastrophic event to bring people together for a common cause.

Now I know that fashion isn't something we all need to come together against or anything crazy like that. But I do know that there are better ways than watching unrealistically skinny women walk around in next to nothing to discover your fantasies. That's Victoria's Secret's "thing" whenever anyone says anything about their print ads or their runway shows: "It's about fantasy." Gag me with a spoon. That's absolute bulls#!t, in my opinion. I worked for them for a summer and their schtick to sell overpriced lingerie is by attempting to make you look like the girl in the ad.

By taking a quick look around, it seems to me that I'm on the outside this time. Sex sells and just because I don't like it doesn't mean it's going to change. While I understand it's not going to change, I am disappointed. I don't mean to sound snobbish, but I guess I just expect more from people than I should.

Goodness, I've allowed myself a rather excessive rant. As always, thank you so much for reading and continuing to support my site. I'll see you tomorrow!

"Be the change you wish to see in the world." --Gandhi

No comments:

Post a Comment