Friday, December 7, 2012

Are You Defined By Your Diagnosis?

Today I was watching "Good Morning America" (people who think I'm one-note, please keep reading; this isn't a political post) and Catherine Zeta-Jones was on the show talking about the movie "Playing for Keeps." After talking about the new film, Elizabeth Vargas asked her about her bipolar disorder. Catherine said something that struck me: "I'm tired of talking about it. I never wanted to be the poster child for this. Everyone has their own thing and we all deal with it the best we can and then keep going."

I feel like even though Catherine Zeta-Jones doesn't want to be a spokesperson for bipolar disorder, just saying what she said will inspire people with bipolar disorder. She has it and is coping quite well. People who have bipolar disorder and are struggling will be able to see her success and be inspired to get their lives back on track.

I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia almost a year ago and narcolepsy six months ago. While I don't want to come across as a victim or define myself by my medical diagnoses, I feel like it is important to talk about it. I agree with Catherine in that playing a victim is not the way to handle it, and everyone has their own thing going on in their lives. I disagree with her, though, in that I think it's important to talk about it and raise awareness.

I have been on experimental medicine for the last month and am going off it next week. I can't wait! I feel like it's made me lose 20 IQ points, I can't focus on anything, and I've gained six pounds in a month. When I get my brain back, I'm planning on writing an e-book about being a young person with fibromyalgia. So many young women are being diagnosed with it and coping is incredibly difficult. I want to write the book to help people, not to whine.

When I was diagnosed in January and having a breakdown about it, my fiancé told me, "This is something that will make you stronger in the long run. Right now it feels like you're in the furnace, but you will come out a stronger person." It's so true. I feel like I'm on the cusp of getting out of this metaphorical furnace. It hurts every day and it will continue to be hard, but it's going to be okay.

Actually, it will be great. I won't settle for anything less.

"Be the change you wish to see in the world." --Gandhi

No comments:

Post a Comment