Thursday, March 28, 2013

Patriots: Better Off Without Welker


A clipping from the Roundup Record-Tribune about Mac Bledsoe's 1999 visit.
Author's Note: This is my first article for a new sports writing gig I got, so that's why I have the different tag-line at the end. Enjoy!

I have loved the New England Patriots since Bledsoe's time. I was 10 when Drew's dad, Mac, came to my school in Roundup, Montana and gave a motivational speech. What he said resonated with me and I had been wanting to have an NFL team of my own (my best friend was a 49ers fan, so I had been a 49ers fan by default--and who didn't love Jerry Rice?!), so the New England Patriots became my team!

I was devastated when Tom Brady took over for Bledsoe in 2001. I "knew" that this kid couldn't be as good as Bledsoe and I knew where my loyalties were. But then I realized, as Brady started looking better and better through the season, that I was a Patriots fan, not a Bledsoe fan. Even though players come and go, and we get attached to them, at the end of the day, we are fans of our teams, not the players. Now, over a decade later, I am still sad to see some of my favorite players go, but love my Patriots more than ever!

Wes Welker had his first season with New England during my first semester at college. I was amazed by his talent and he easily became a top 3 favorite of mine (always behind Brady, and behind Deion Branch when he was on the team). Welker brought our team to a new level and the games were impressive to watch.

As the seasons passed and Welker continued to perform at an incredibly high level, I was a happy camper. When Welker dropped a perfect pass from Brady in the last 10 seconds of Super Bowl XLVI, I was unhappy. And then Welker decided to start contract negotiations. That made me even more unhappy. Here is an excerpt of an article I wrote about him back in September 2012:

"Wes Welker is a prime example of a player I love who was in contract negotiations this summer and, frankly, disgusted me. He wanted $11.42M this year with a long-term contract because he felt he was worth that much to the Patriots organization. He is now on a one year contract, making about $9.5M this year, and I'm pretty sure that yesterday in the season opener he got a total of 14 yards (Fourteen?!?!! Is this a high school stat???) and let a perfect pass bounce off his helmet."

In the 2012 season Welker went on to have 118 receptions for 1,354 yards; down from his 2011 season stats: 122 receptions for 1,569 yards. Although these are decent stats, I was disappointed in his season and was, to be honest, more interested in the on-again, off-again relationship Deion Branch (like me, a Louisville Cardinal alum) was having with the team.

I heard through the grapevine that Welker was renegotiating his contract with the Patriots for the 2013 season. I was furious! Why should my team spend more money to keep someone who tends to drop big passes when it really matters (e.g. 2012 AFC Championship game) instead of paying him what he's worth and getting some new guys who could start learning from the vets?!

Then, on March 13, 2013, Welker signed with the Broncos for $12 million over two years. And I said, "Good riddance." Honestly. I figure if he's spending more energy off the field trying to get a bigger paycheck than making big plays on the field, we don't need him. We are a team and if he doesn't feel like putting the team ahead of his millions of dollars, we can do better.

I've been spending the last couple of weeks getting over my anger at Wes Welker and scoping out the Patriots' prospects in the upcoming NFL draft. And then yesterday I came across this interview with Welker on the Broncos' website. Take a look here.

Wes Welker apparently told John Elway "how much [he] wanted to win" and that he "wanted to be part of a winning team." Are you kidding me?! The Broncos haven't been a winning team since Elway's time and, while I respect the hell out of Peyton Manning, he's 37 years old! In my estimate, they've got one shot to make the Broncos a championship caliber team: the 2013 season. Welker just left a winning team to go to a team that might have the possibility of winning. Maybe. It's ridiculous.

Then Welker had the gaul to say that the biggest thing he learned at New England was "always putting the team first in everything you do." Please. If he actually believed in putting the team first, he wouldn't be in Denver. How is this interview not raising red flags for Elway? It's incredibly obvious that Welker follows the money and doesn't care about "the team." I can guarantee you that I wouldn't put him on my team if I had one--who's to say he wouldn't leave after one season if someone else offered him more money?!

So, for all you New England fans mourning the loss of Welker, let him go. Frame your #83 jerseys and hang them up. Look back at Welker's time with us as a good era, but just let it slip into the history books. I mourned Bledsoe's leaving for months and (no offense to Drew) we got someone better. We're going to get a better receiver who doesn't only play well, but really knows and respects the value of being a Patriot.

"It's not whether you get knocked down, it's whether you get back up." --Vince Lombardi

3 comments:

  1. All well and good to promote team loyalty--I'd like nothing better than to see more players stay with one team for their whole career. I would just encourage you to realize that football players generally have a very short career and need to maximize their income while they can. Just a point

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do understand that football players have short careers. However, I highly doubt that $2 million dollars will make that much difference in the grand scheme of Welker's life--he was offered $10 million at New England instead of the $12 million at Denver.

      Delete
  2. I'm amazed at how some people think they know better how much money others should make, how much is 'enough'--$2 million over a lifetime can make quite a difference, especially in these days of very high taxes, increasing health costs, etc. I just say--let the free market decide and let the player be free to choose.

    ReplyDelete