Thursday, April 4, 2013

Nostalgic for a Time We Never Knew

Justin Timberlake
Emmy Rossum just had an album come out called "Sentimental Journey" with American standards on it. Justin Timberlake came out with an album of music that reflects the style of the 1960s and soul. The Fall 2013 Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week featured silhouettes akin to the high fashion of the 1940s and 1950s. Are we looking back and being nostalgic for a time we never knew?

Whenever I listen to Ella Fitzgerald or Louis Armstrong I feel like I'm transported back to a romantic time. Hollywood was full of "old" glamour, there was a standard of etiquette that everyone had, and it seems like it was simpler than current times. I know it's just a feeling, and that there were problems and scandals back then, but it's fascinating that people in their mid to late 20s are wanting to bring that feeling along into the 21st century.

And the way fashion is going right now, the younger girls are headed back to the 80s, but the business ladies and more dressed up women have silhouettes straight out of the 50s. I love it! As someone in their mid-20s who does not want to have all of their skin showing, it's refreshing to see necklines higher and hemlines longer.

I think that we are getting to the point where technology is continuing and the world is going faster and faster, and there are some of us who are tired of it. At 24, I'm exhausted! Just this morning Apple said they're going to be coming out next year with a ring that will be a remote for the new Apple TV. Reports earlier in the week mentioned that the new iPhone could come out as early as this summer (didn't we just get the iPhone 5?!). It feels like we never slow down. I would love to go back to a time in which men were romantic, children were polite, and hemlines were closer to our knees.

Until I figure out how to build a time machine, I think I'll just put on the "Sentimental Journey" album and let "These Foolish Things" pass.

Emmy Rossum
"Be the change you wish to see in the world." --Gandhi

No comments:

Post a Comment