Monday, September 17, 2012

Obama 2012!

Happy Monday, everyone!

This weekend I started volunteering for the Obama 2012 campaign! It's something I've considered doing for a while, and the opportunity presented itself, so I seized it! Barack is coming to Cincinnati today, so I stopped by the campaign headquarters Friday to find out how to get tickets. They told me how to get them (that they would be free and available for pickup on Saturday), but then they mentioned that if you volunteered on Saturday to help with the distribution of the tickets, you would be guaranteed a ticket. I called Emily back in Louisville, she came up Saturday morning, and we went to volunteer at the campaign headquarters in Cincinnati!

It was such an amazing experience! Emily's and my job was to make sure people filled out their tickets before they left, so we literally saw every person who came through. There were so many different kinds of people: homeschool families who are using this opportunity as a social studies lesson, girls all dressed up with Michael Kors handbags, homeless people who asked if they should put their pastor's address down since they didn't have one, college students who looked like they'd just gotten out of bed,  people with dogs, high school teachers, goth people, middle school boys who were trying so hard not to care about any of this but were so jazzed up inside, delightfully stereotypical gay couples, people who had just come from working out, blind people, beautiful old couples, stressed out moms with a few kids in tow, and I'm sure there are others I missed! And the languages being spoken! French, Russian, Arabic, Spanish, Ukrainian, Dutch, and English, just to name a few! Just seeing all those people there from so many different backgrounds for the same cause was inspiring!

Today all of us, young to old, male and female, gay to straight, quiet and loud, will gather together to rally behind our President. We are choosing to put all differences aside to promote one common goal: our country's continued progress. I love it! I am so excited!

"Be the change you wish to see in the world." --Gandhi

5 comments:

  1. Sounds like fun. Why are you supporting President Obama? I'm just curious and want to try and understand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fair question! :) I support Obama because I appreciate his empathy for young, unemployed people! I like the fact that he got rid of Don't Ask, Don't Tell, that he approves of gay marriage, that he is not working to make laws about my body, that he values education, that he ends wars, that he takes time with the people he meets even when he has six secret service agents surrounding him, and that he is interested in keeping jobs here in the U.S.A. Why do you support him or don't support him? Also curious! :)

      Delete
    2. I forgot: One more reason I don't support our president: $6 trillion more in debt in just 3 and a half years. Quantitative Easing--printing $40 billion/mo to buy bonds. These 2 things in themselves may very well be the end of our country as we know it, unless we stop it SOON!
      Thanks again!

      Delete
    3. The true fanatic is a theocrat, someone who sees himself as acting on behalf of some super-personal force: the Race, the Party, History, the Proletariat, the Poor, and so on. These absolve him from evil, hence he may safely do anything in their service.---Lloyd Billingsley, Relifion's Rebel Son

      This is how I've come to think of Obama and why I'm not supporting him.
      Read: The Amateur by Edward Klein, Obama's Autobiographies, Fool Me Once, any other book on Obama; a fascinating character

      Delete
  2. I am not supporting Obama because, although he may have "empathy" for young, unemployed people, his policies are actually helping to create more. (Highest corp. income tax of all countries--corps hire people; crippling regulations which are shutting down businesses, even some that he supported with stimulous--Solyndra; Obamacare rules and regs that are keeping small businesses from hiring, etc.)
    I do not support him as Obamacare is a law that will effect all our bodies. Government officials (health boards) will be making decisions on the amount and type of care we can receive(read the bill-I'm still trying to finish it!). May not keep you from getting your birth control or an abortion, but may limit,say, hip replacements for people who are deemed too old, frail, etc, coming between us and our doctors. I'm concerned for my parents as they age.
    I do not support Obama as he SAYS he values education and then cancels a program in DC that supports poor students to access education in private schools like the one he sends his daughters to. (keeping it brief--I have more examples)
    I do not support Obama because he may say he believes in keeping jobs here in US, but our stimulus $$ went overseas to fund a car co. in Finland! His so-called Business counsel leader, the CEO of GE, has continued to send 1000's of jobs overseas. It's hard as we are now a global economy--many companies are world-wide orgs. That's why US small businesses are so important.
    I do not support Obama as his policies encourage an entitlement mentality. Our government is actually advertising(using money that could help those who really need it) food stamps! He also (unlawfully, in my opinion)stripped the work requirement in Welfare Reform. I think that we should be helping to support those who really need our help and encourage those who can work to work--if they need temp. help to get on their feet, I'm all for it. I work in a school where I know kids who have free/subsidized lunches, their parents on welfare/food stamps and they have Iphones--really?!! This isn't what our country is about.
    I'm not supporting Obama because of his Foreign Policy. Since I'm going way too long--I'll just say look at this last week: China/Japan, Israel/the rest of the Middle East. What a complete mess. Even O is confused as to who our allies are; he doesn't have a clue....I'm sure you're sorry that you asked, but I answered. Thanks for the forum!

    ReplyDelete