Thursday, May 2, 2013

16-Year-Old Arrested for Science Mistake

Photo: WTSP-TV
This story was brought to my attention late yesterday afternoon by a few people, as a possible topic for today's article. To summarize, Kiera Wilmot, a 16-year-old girl at a high school in Florida mixed some chemicals in a water bottle "to see what happened," according to this source. It exploded with "some smoke." It hurt no one, it damaged nothing. The principal says that she has never been in trouble and is a good student. She was expelled, arrested, and charged with two felonies: "possession and discharge of a weapon on school property."

Are you kidding me?! This could have been anyone. It could have been me! I did stupid stuff in the name of "science" all the time while I was growing up. Even if it wasn't an experiment for a class, if she did something during class that piqued her interest and then wanted to take it further, it's still an experiment. This is a great example of kids being curious and getting in big trouble for it, for no reason. I think sure, she should have been reprimanded, maybe even given a detention, but expelled? Come on.

This is the statement the school district made, following the incident:

"Anytime a student makes a bad choice it is disappointing to us. Unfortunately, the incident that occurred at Bartow High School yesterday was a serious breach of conduct. In order to maintain a safe and orderly learning environment, we simply must uphold our code of conduct rules. We urge our parents to join us in conveying the message that there are consequences to actions. We will not compromise the safety and security of our students and staff."

It was a "serious breach of conduct"? Really? If they really want to have a "learning environment" and still show that there are "consequences to actions," why didn't they give her a detention and then hold an assembly for everyone who saw it and teach them the chemistry behind why the water bottle blew up?

This might not be the most appropriate thing to say in light of recent events, but don't you think if a smart student wanted to make something blow up, she could have done a better job? A little bit of smoke and no damage? That's not an intentional bomb. There was no compromise of "the safety and security" of everyone at the school.

This story makes me sick, both as an educator and as a future parent. If this happened to a kid in one of my classes, I would be a little bit freaked. I would want to know why she did it, but after her explanation along with her well-known background (model student, not a trouble-maker), I would not be upset. If one of my own kids did this because they were curious and then got expelled for it, I would lose my mind. I am lucky I never did anything this explosive during school, but if I had, I don't think I would have deserved expulsion.

If you want to let the Polk County Public School District know how you feel about Kiera's situation, here is the appropriate contact information.

If you want to sign the petition to get charges against Kiera dropped, click here. I did!

"Be the change you wish to see in the world." --Gandhi

No comments:

Post a Comment