Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Things You Shouldn't Say

This morning I woke up in an incredibly snarky mood. I was watching the news and had strong opinions about literally everything I was seeing: anchors' clothing choices, headline stories, commercials...everything. So I thought I would share. Some of you will think some of it is inappropriate, but hey, we all have days like this, and I'd rather put it out there than just let it simmer in my head all day.

1. Department of Justice. People are upset that the Obama administration has cracked down on "whistle-blowers." They're upset that his administration is not as "transparent" as he promised it would be. This morning on "Morning Joe" they killed about 7 minutes of air time discussing it. Why are they and we even pretending to "know" anything that's going on? There is no administration that can be "transparent." Obama said that to get elected and I don't think even he knew the extent to which he cannot be transparent. If you actually believed that he was going to share every possible terror threat with the country, you're insane.

In our age of endless instant information, of course there will be more whistle-blowers dealt with because there are more of them. I would rather have the administration keep certain things to themselves so that I'm not paranoid that our country is going to get blown up today than have to be given a daily briefing on which terrorist group wants to kill us all today.

People on both sides of the aisle are very upset about this, but come on. If the administration told us all everything that was going on for even a day, the same people who are currently upset would lose their minds about the administration over-sharing and making the citizens of our country freak out.

2. Tornado Victims Without Insurance. Yesterday I heard that a lot of the people who lived in the Oklahoma communities that got blown apart by the tornados didn't have insurance because they couldn't afford it. Of course we are all going to donate money and supplies to help them get their homes back even though they don't have insurance.

But the some of the same people who would have a cow if Obama didn't expedite federal help to these people who "chose" to not have insurance because they couldn't afford it are the same people who backed Hobby Lobby's fight against Obamacare so that their female employees don't get federally funded birth control. These are the same people who think that each person should be held accountable for their own health: "Why should we help them? They had the opportunity to be responsible and get a good job and purchase health insurance and they chose not to. Why are they my responsibility?" How are the tornado victims who don't have insurance any different? Why are you willing to help them, but not a 15-year-old girl who is a product of her environment, has not had the opportunity to be educated, and has no insurance?

3. TV Anchors Wearing Fluorescent Colors. This has been a long time coming. I actually have started making daily notes on anchors' outfits because there are the same mistakes being made over and over again. Today, I'm only going to focus on color: just because fluorescent is trendy doesn't mean it translates well on TV. And shouldn't our anchors be trendy on the upscale level, not the teenybopper level? Sixth graders are wearing neon. Professional adults are not.

Bright red, pink, orange, yellow, and lime green have got to get out of your wardrobe! 90% of the time, it washes you out because your complexion and the makeup you're wearing (well, not wearing) can't handle the intensity of the color you're wearing. Also, take 3 seconds and look at your background. If you wouldn't put hot pink in front of a bright red in your house, don't put it together on something that's in my house (the TV). It's very simple.

I really feel like my local news station is better at this than a lot of the national stations which shocks me, because the national stations have extensive stylists who are supposedly keeping our anchors looking good on TV. I would like to point out that I am not calling any particular station or stations out. Even my favorite anchors have had this neon transgression! But since I've started taking daily notes, I've been going to channels I don't normally go to and it's a recurring problem. Especially on the channels I don't watch! ;-)

So. The article on horrible commercials will be for tomorrow. It's written, but I don't want to overdo it! Venting just made me feel a tad better and I feel like I'm ready take on all of your comments that I'm sure you'll not hesitate to share! ;-)

"Be the change you wish to see in the world." --Gandhi

4 comments:

  1. Oh, boy--I just don't know where to start. The administration isn't just going after 'whistle-blowers', they are going after the press (AP and Fox News) in such a way as to chill our so-called FREE PRESS. Who's going to want to speak to reporters if they think they're being recorded by a government that can go after them with, perhaps, the IRS!? I argue that the only reason we don't live in more than a soft tyranny, is our press. Please read:Kirsten Powers'(a Clinton Administration staffer) and Nick Gillespie's commentaries in thedailybeast.com.(I send you to these commentaries as I'd like to say what they do, but won't repeat here--too long) Another point is that the DOJ used a designation of 'co-conspirator' to criminalize Mr. Rosen's investigative reporting. Mr. Rosen did not leak any classified documents, sources, or was not charged with any crime--he still hasn't been charged or even informed personally by DOJ that their investigation was taking place.

    The IRS scandal is just as bad or worse. The administration using an arm of the government against people who may have different opinions, religious beliefs, etc than the current administration. I have to say--this is horrifying! I feel that this is as bad or worse than the McCarthyism that took place in the 50's! Just WTH anyway!I'm totally underwhelmed by the reaction of our president and other well-known progressive individuals on this issue when I know that if Bush's administration had done this, the reaction would have been nuclear--as it should be! This issue flies in the face of our free speech, privacy, right to affiliate etc.. etc...
    I understand that you're just blowing off steam in your comments, but they are so superficial and don't even scatch the surface of what we are really dealing with here. MY comments are much less articulate and comprehensive than I'd like them to be as I am very upset and concerned with what is happening in our so-called 'free' society. I was a teenager during Watergate, watched the hearings and the fallout--doesn't come close to what is happening here and now. I'll save my comment re: tornado for another day--much to your relief, I'm sure.:)Thanks for the forum.

    ReplyDelete
  2. FBI agent Phelps during Watergate talked with Woodward and Bernstein of The Washington Post as he thought President Nixon was doing something illegal. When he talked to those reporters, was that illegal?! Administration has the legal right to go after info re: whistleblowing in their gov't by gov't employees, but not after reporters doing their jobs. Completely chills all reporting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. IRS and AP/FOX news scandals are McCarthyism on steroids!

    ReplyDelete
  4. http://www.newsmax.com/Headline/times-fox-rosen-obama/2013/05/22/id/505794;New York Times; Much deeper than just 'whistle-blower'; attack on formerly 'free' press. I always use my name when commenting, however, in light of recent developments (IRS) I will be anonymous.:) MAJOR BUMMER!

    ReplyDelete