Monday, May 20, 2013

Hits and Misses at the Billboard Music Awards

This morning I stumbled bleary-eyed and yawning out into the living room, where my fiancĂ© was watching the news. The very first thing I saw was Jennifer Lopez in a very high-cut red swimsuit coming toward the audience crotch first. I was blown away! I found her Billboard Music Awards (BBMA) performance online and watched it. I was horrified. It included malfunctioning boots, a stripper pole, and her hands on her *ahem*...area. For the record, she looks amazing for a 43 year old, but I don't need her to prove it by showing all parts of herself. Here's her performance. Would you want your daughters watching this?


JLO213519215538 by YardieGoals

JLo Verdict
Costume: MISS.
Performance: MISS.

I decided to go through the BBMA performances and see what the other female performers did. Note: Yep, I'm only focusing on the ladies, because I don't have much to say about men's costumes--I really hate most of them, but at least they cover what needs to be covered.

I'm not a massive Taylor Swift fan, but I was a huge fan of her outfit and performance last night! I watched her performance this morning and the reason I loved it so much is that she looks like she is having fun and she's wearing a t-shirt, shorts, and sneakers! Sure, the shirts are short, but at least what she was wearing on the bottom had an inseam! Even when she tries to do a "sexy move" or something in her dancing, she looks awkward and it's endearing, because she is only "22."


21351925331 by YardieGoals

Taylor Swift Verdict
Costume: HIT!!!
Performance: HIT!!!

I've never seen Selena Gomez perform in my entire life until this video. I was very confused and actually looked up whether she had Indian ancestors because of the theme of this song. She has some Hispanic ancestors and a little bit of Italian in her, so why did she use an Indian theme? She wasn't actually even very good at the so-called "belly dance." But, she didn't show her belly! I loved her outfit, but thought the song was a little too racy and the theme was in bad taste.


2135192441 by YardieGoals

Selena Gomez Verdict
Costume: HIT!!!
Performance: MISS.

Nicki Minaj (who, like Selena, I've never seen perform--is her toosh real??) wore a very tight and shredded black outfit that didn't leave much to the imagination. At one point she gave Lil' Wayne a lap dance/twerk (I don't know how to use the word "twerk" correctly!). It was really disturbing how she was touching her...area...like JLo did, too. I mean, it was bad enough when Michael Jackson did it, and there are a bunch of guy artists who wander around grabbing themselves, but ladies?? Come on! It's really gross!


213519223415 by YardieGoals

Nicki Minaj Verdict
Costume: MISS.
Performance: MISS.

So. What do you think? Since it's a show should the costumes be "whatever goes" or since there are a lot of young people (especially girls) who watch the show, should the costumes be held to a certain standard? This year at the Oscars there was a dress code. I think there should also be a dress code for performers. It's the "Billboard Music Awards," not the "Billboard Who-Has-the-Craziest-Costume-While-They-Lip-Sync Awards." Slutty costumes do not enhance the music; but great costumes enhance a performance. If pop stars want to have massively sexy music videos, fine. People go look for those and watch them. But at a "family friendly" awards show? I don't think it's the place for super-sexy costumes. You can have a great costume without it being whorish. Taylor Swift looked amazing, and she was covered up!

Sophia Grace and Rosie
Last week on Ellen Degeneres's show, Ellen announced that she would send the adorable Sophia Grace and Rosie to cover the red carpet and then watch the show. They're preteens by a LONG shot, being 10 and 7 years old, respectively. Is it okay to show little kids stripper moves and costumes that are considered to be just part of our music culture? Our kids idolize the celebrities they see on TV. What are we doing to their little tiny minds by showing them this? Where does parental responsibility end and TV responsibility begin?

BBMA Performances Overall Verdict:
Costumes: MISS.
Performances: MISS.
PG Rating: MISS.

"Be the change you wish to see in the world." --Gandhi

No comments:

Post a Comment