Friday, October 5, 2012

DIY NFL Catnip Toys

For the record, I'm a Patriots fan;
my fiancé is a Packers owner.
Good Friday morning, everyone! :)
My kittens have completely destroyed the toys we bought them a month and a half ago. I went to the pet store and started looking for new toys. They're expensive! So I came home and started looking at the materials I had at my house. I realized I had some polar fleece left over from some previous projects, some polyester filler, and catnip! It's football season, so I decided our kittens should have the opportunity to "participate," too! These are the finished products I've made so far, and the instructions to make them are below! Pick your team and watch your cats enjoy football season!

Dead store-bought mouse toys...

First, get a remnant (50% off at Jo-Ann Fabrics) of your favorite sports team's polar fleece (polar fleece is the best fabric for this, in my opinion, because the kittens can get their claws into it).

Cut out two logos that are opposite each other.

Put the pieces together right sides in.

Sew almost all the way around the edge.

Turn the toy right side out. Use a pencil or pen to help, if necessary.

Get some poly-fill.


Stuff the toy about half full.

Then get your catnip, and put a few pinches in to the toy. Use your finger to push it around the fill to the outside. If you leave it in the middle of the poly-fill, the kitties won't be able to smell it as easily and will ignore the toy.

My kittens were so excited--they didn't want to wait!


Once you've filled it up all the way with the poly-fill, you should have a bit of a gap left open.

With a needle and thread (doubled), sew it up!

Make sure you knot it quite well. These kittens are going to attack this thing!

Finished product!

 Test run...

Success!

These are the toys I've made so far.
The kittens love them!

I hope you all have a wonderful weekend filled with football! :)

"Be the change you wish to see in the world." --Gandhi

No comments:

Post a Comment