Thursday, October 25, 2012

Should Tackle Football Be Banned?

One of the news stories getting the most attention in the twitter world this morning is a GMA story about a retired doctor who has said that it is "a moral imperitive that we at least begin the process of ending this game" in high schools. The game he was talking about? Football! This doctor, Dr. Paul Butler, says that the research is too obvious that football is a dangerous game for underage kids to be playing.

ESPN says that some of the blows that even high schoolers can take to the head are the equivalent of getting hit in the skull with a sledgehammer.
This is what happens when you marry outside your team...

Even players like Tom Brady are advocating for new rules and safer equipment for players, as seen in this absolutely hilarious NFL Evolution commercial!

Here is the twitter conversation on GMA's status about this. No one, at least in this twitter feed, is interested in banning football! It's fascinating to me that the research obviously says that kids are getting hurt by the tackling, but people love football so much they don't want to stop it. Do these people love the sport more than their kids?

I love football! Any of you who know me know that I am a massive Patriots fan. My fiancĂ© and I are such big football fans that we had our engagement photos done in our jerseys (we love our quarterbacks: Brady and Rodgers)! But when we have kids, if tackle football is still being played in youth leagues and high schools, I'm not sure if we will allow them to play. I played flag football and touch football growing up--I didn't really play tackle until college (full disclosure: I had to quit the team before we played a game). I had an absolute blast playing touch and flag. We had a youth flag football league in my town and it was fun--and safe.

There are also a lot of other sports that are available to kids: track, soccer (heading is under fire, too, though), volleyball, field hockey, basketball, etc. I am very aware that all of these sports have athletes in them who get hurt. The difference to me is that the premise of these sports is not to intentionally run into other players. It happens, sure, but it's not the point of these games.

So, what do you think? Is it worth risking your son or daughter's life or brain function so we can continue to watch tackle football in high schools? Please weigh in!

We want YOU to share your opinion!
"Be the change you wish to see in the world." --Gandhi

All photos by Bailey Richards.

4 comments:

  1. I must admit - I don't like football, I don't understand football, not even touch or flag. Never could stand the game at all. Don't see the point in watching a game that looks to me like nothing but a bunch of dogpiles, one after the other.

    That said, however, it seems to be a game made with adolescent males in mind. At least many of the ones that I know. And while, no, football is not inherently safe, neither is anything that I can think of that creates the kind of adrenaline, body-pounding rush that your average teenage male seems to be after.

    If they succeed in banning high school football, do they have any ideas of safe activities of the same value to replace it with? Seems like that ought to be part of the discussion. These guys are likely not going to be happy joining the Chess Club instead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are definitely right in saying that football players would probably not like Chess Club! But basketball and baseball are also team sports that have "value" in our culture. Would the players get the same rush as when they hit someone? No, but they're relatively safe(r) sports that will still get the players acclaim.

      Delete
  2. And, being the sort of mom who has refused to allow her children to play football, due primarily to safety concerns, I am not the person who really should come to its defense. Granted, I only had one who wanted to, but he *really* wanted to. And I wouldn't budge. There are definitely safer ways to get the benefits!

    We did play soccer until we moved to a town that didn't have a league. And, yes, heading can be dangerous. But, I think it is dangerous on a whole lower scale than football concussions - nowhere near as bad.

    My daughter has a teammate who manages to get a concussion every year. Playing volleyball! No sport will be 100% safe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Remember - gladiator games were once accepted and thought to be totally proper. So that we may complain that many are moving to outlaw a game that has brought great pleasure to many, it has also brought great agony to others. I am sure there were plenty of Romans who weren't too happy when Emperor Constantine (or Honorius depending upon what history you believe) outlawed the gladiatorial games.

    Just saying...

    http://adadandhisboy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete