Friday, October 12, 2012

Politicians Just Want to Help

I've been working on the Obama campaign for about a month now. It has been one of the most interesting experiences I've ever had! Most of the times when I go into the campaign office, there is such a high level of excitement and hope. The people who work there, myself included, are so sure that President Obama is going to continue to help the people of the United States!

I don't, however, like all parts of the campaign. Some of it is so negative! The campaign ads are infuriating. I can't believe that the Obama campaign put one out earlier this week about Big Bird! The fact that he is spending campaign money on Romney's silly comment instead of telling us what he is going to do to continue to work with the American people is very frustrating to me.

Getting frustrated at the same time you believe so strongly in something makes only one thing look like the solution: getting involved! I don't have a degree in political science or anything related to economics or anything, but I would really like to get more involved in local issues because I would like to help people get what they need and help make the world a better place, and what better place to start than your own community?

Thinking about why I want to get more involved in politics made me think about the reasons the politicians we already have got involved in politics in the first place. Every congressman, congresswoman, judge, president, governor, etc. that I can think of has told us that they got involved because they wanted to help people and lead our communities in the "correct" direction. While we don't all agree on which direction is the "correct" direction, we're all in this for the same reason: to help people. Seeing the campaign ads that tell us what a horrible person the "other guy" in the race is, is incredibly sad to me because if you look at the other person for who they are, he or she is in this for the same reason you are.

Take today to appreciate the people around you for who they are, even if they don't agree with you, especially if they don't agree with you! I have people in my own family and inner circle of friends who are die-hard conservatives. I don't agree with most of their views, but I understand why they have them and why they think those views are valid. There is no reason that I should tell them they're wrong or they should tell me that I'm wrong in my own views. We all have our own views on a bunch of different issues, but at the end of the day, we can all unite in the fact that we want the best for ourselves and our children.

Have a great weekend!

"Be the change you wish to see in the world." --Gandhi

4 comments:

  1. Watching VP Biden last night made me ill. Too bad he doesn't feel as you do that we can disagree and still respect one another. You and Rep. Ryan show more maturity than our VP. I was embarrassed to have him for our VP-how our politics have deteriorated!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree :laughing,mugging, sighing while his debate partner was discussing the deaths in Libya and the nuclear threat from Iran??!! I am ashamed to have voted for that very disturbing man. We need some adults to deal with our very real problems!

      Delete
  2. But how can you not smirk at Paul Ryan and his "Hollywood" antics? He looked like he was trying to win a part in a movie. Do we want someone to help run the country or someone who will act like they are helping run the country? When I look at Paul Ryan I think creep. Sorry, but the that's the word that comes to mind. I'm a registered Republican who voted Democrat 4 years ago, who doesn't even want to vote this year because I fear neither candidate can fix our country. It's all about the almighty dollar and the politicians are raking it in, while the middle class drowns. God help us all!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great comments on this! I think we SHOULD be able to disagree without being disrespectful. I agree with the fact that Ryan is kind of creepy. I thought that W was creepy, too, and after Clinton got in trouble for all the Lewinsky stuff, I thought he was creepy, too. I mean, to a certain extent, all the candidates are "playing the role" of politician all the time. We only know what they and the media tell us.

    ReplyDelete