Monday, October 22, 2012

Sarah Jessica Parker in Cincinnati for President Obama

Sarah Jessica Parker
Over the weekend I had the distinct pleasure of seeing Sarah Jessica Parker, Valerie Jarrett, and Alfre Woodard speak at the downtown Cincinnati Obama for America campaign office! It was so great! Sarah Jessica Parker spoke about how it's important for women to stand together in this election, that this election is the most important election in our lifetimes, and that women always put ourselves last in terms of making sure we're healthy, but now, it's time to vote for President Obama so that we can get the healthcare we need.

SJP
It was absolutely amazing to see SJP talking about the same issues I care about. It was anaintimate setting and I was in the front row after the first couple minutes, so it really felt like we were almost having a conversation. It was great to see that women care about the same issues, no matter where we come from.
SJP listening to Valerie Jarrett

Fired up!
After SJP talked, President Obama's top advisor, Valerie Jarrett spoke. She was so "Fired Up!" She mentioned that she normally travels with the president, but he sent her to go get people voting in the early-vote swing states: Virginia and Ohio. Jarrett got us excited and on board to vote early in Ohio. She ran down President Obama's plan about energy, education, and small businesses. She also used the phrase, "Romney doesn't have a five-point plan, he has a one-point plan." Catchy, and it got the crowd excited, but we've already heard that. I think it's a cheap shot and it's not a good way to get undecided voters on your side. Slamming the other candidate without anything to back it up just makes it look like you don't have anything substantive to say. And I know that the Obama campaign has something substantive to say!

Anyway, getting to hear Valerie Jarrett and Sarah Jessica Parker talk about why President Obama needs to be re-elected was great; then Alfre Woodard took the stage! I'd never heard of her by name, but when I saw her, I immediately recognized her. She's been in a lot of movies. Woodard was such a good speaker! She got the crowd really going. Apparently, most of the crowd knew and loved her even more than SJP! Woodard also gave the reasons that the president is the best man for the job.
SJP and Valerie Jarrett excited by Alfre Woodard's energy!
The rally was great! We had a wonderful time and after it was over, we had a huge group of canvassers hit the streets to knock on some doors. Getting ready for GOTV (Get Out The Vote) is so hectic, but these amazing celebs and VIPs keep us going. They said "thank you" to the volunteers for spending our time on the campaign, but I want to say "thanks" to them. I so appreciate people who have fame using it as an influence for good!

After the rally, I was interviewed by the Cincinnati NBC affiliate, WLWT. They haven't run the story yet, but I'm keeping my eye out. I'm not speaking in these two clips, but you can see me in the reddish-black sweater right in the front! In the first clip from our ABC affiliate, WCPO, I am seen around 1:09 for just a couple of seconds. In the second clip from WKRC, Cincinnati's CBS affiliate, I'm shown about 35 seconds into the clip. I have no idea what I'm doing with my mouth, but that's okay! 





I had brought my Sex and the City DVD with me to get it signed. Since I was right next to the stage, I put the DVD and Sharpie on the stage at one point so I could clap. SJP looked at me and smiled. She knew I wanted to get it signed...and then she left out the back after the rally was over. I was pretty bummed out about that. But I did get to see all three of these amazing women speak about something that I feel extremely passionate about, so I think that constitutes a pretty good day!

Here are some more photos I took at the event! Have a great Monday! Please watch the debate tonight at 9/8c and if you live somewhere you can vote early, please vote!

SJP listening to Valerie Jarrett.
SJP

SJP looking at my camera!





















































Valerie Jarrett and SJP listening to Alfre Woodard.

"Be the change you wish to see in the world." --Gandhi

No comments:

Post a Comment