Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Sandy Relief: How You Can Help

I've never had a writer's block before, but all of the photos and stories of Superstorm Sandy's devastation have left me without a lot of words. What do you say after millions of people have been displaced, are without power and communication, and don't know if their families are safe?

I was going to write something about how it's "just stuff" that people are losing, but after this morning, seeing entire neighborhoods on fire, whole towns flooded, and the death toll rising, I don't want to be that person. This is absolutely devastating the Northeast. The fact that this is the biggest "first responder" movement since 9/11 kind of brings the gravity of the situation into focus.

Please do whatever you can to stay safe. Once you're safe, help the people around you. Please donate money or supplies. Links for a couple of organizations that are taking disaster assistance funds are below.
My first "Sandy Scarf"!

Red Cross
Presbyterian Disaster Assistance
SandyRelief.org

My mom, sister, friends, and I are making "Sandy Scarves" and "Hurricane Hats" to send to the victims of Sandy. Winter is coming and if they've just lost everything, the least we can do is send scarves and hats to them. If you want to join us, please let me know either here or on Twitter (@ChickOpinion). I'm still waiting for an address to send the scarves to, but please start knitting or sewing. I'll update this with an address as soon as possible.

Stay safe, stay strong.

"Be the change you wish to be in the world."

No comments:

Post a Comment