Thursday, November 29, 2012

The American Dream: Where Does Money Come In?

Last night the winning numbers for the largest Powerball jackpot of all time were announced. There were two winners and it's all over the news this morning. Everyone can't wait for the winners to come forward so we can see what they decide to do with the money.

I got to thinking about this: these people might be wonderful people with great intentions doing amazing things, but no one has heard of them; until now. Now that they have won a lot of money, suddenly the press will be watching what they do. Thinking about this was a stark realization for me: money gives you power.

I know that this is not exactly a bombshell; "money is power" is a saying that is common. But it made me sad to realize this. I feel like it's a very different "American Dream" than the one my ancestors had. It used to be that the American Dream was to work hard and earn enough money to provide for your family. Now, the American Dream (as I see it) is to have excess and not necessarily have to work hard for it.

I live the American Dream every day by fighting through the pain, the dizziness, the emotional instability, and everything else that comes with fibromyalgia. I live the American Dream by helping the victims of Superstorm Sandy even though I don't know them. I live the American Dream by taking an active part in my democracy. I live the American Dream by continuing to write even if I know only 50 people a day are reading what I write. I live the American Dream by continuing to have hope even while I receive rejection letters from all the sites I write to asking if they'll consider having me as a contributing writer. I live the American Dream by not giving up.

I want to be powerful before I get a lot of money. I want to be the voice of women who are struggling with fibromyalgia and anorexia and can't work. I want to inspire other people who have dreams and have to work to get them. I want to be the new face of the American Dream.

Getting interviewed as I left the polling location on Election Day.
"Be the change you wish to be in the world." --Gandhi

4 comments:

  1. This is exactly what the last election was about. You said you wouldn't give up--good for you. At least for now you have the freedom to pursue your dreams regardless of how hard it may be for you personally. But I'm afraid many of your fellow Americans have given up and find it easier just to live on the dole because "It isn't FAIR" that some people have more even though they may have worked very long and hard for it. I say it isn't FAIR that our ancestors had to fight the American Revolution, the Civil War, WWI, the depression and WWII etc, but they did it so that WE would have the opportunity to determine our own paths in freedom and liberty. It's hard work and takes self-responsibility--things that are no longer valued by at least half of our US population. I wrote too much just to tell you that you are not the "new face of the American Dream" you are the 'old' face of the American dream!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) I think this is a great comment! I am called "old-fashioned" and "conservative" more than I'd like to admit. I don't see too much wrong with that!

      Delete
  2. As a medical professional may I make a suggestion? You seem to be identifying yourself as your disease instead of focusing on wellness. I'm sure that you, like most of my patients, spend hours visiting websites to commiserate with others 'suffering' from the same thing. The disease becomes a badge--you belong to something, others sympathize or empathize and you feel better; they feel better because they think they're 'helping people'. Do we wear ribbons, shave our heads or grow mustaches to make ourselves feel like we are helping each other, empathizing? How does this help the patient except by repeatedly and endlessly reminding them that they have an illness. Why do we focus on the DIS-EASE?! Focus on the beautiful, healthy, person you are-a creation of GOD!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. While I appreciate your comment because I don't like "defining" myself by my syndrome, I find it hard to focus on the "healthy" person I am, seeing as I am disabled by pain and medication right now. I understand what you mean, but I don't spend hours on websites...I did at first, but now I'm just trying to cope with what I've got. I am a member of two facebook groups and active in one, but other than that, I don't bother with the groups.

      Delete