Monday, November 26, 2012

'Tis the Season to Be...Shopping?

Black Friday that starts at 8pm on Thanksgiving night, Small Business Saturday that starts the evening of Black Friday, Cyber Monday that starts at 6pm on Sunday night...what's next? Opening presents on the 24th? Or New Year's Eve Eve parties?

Thanksgiving night I was playing cards with my future in-laws and getting ready to watch the Patriots game. We were laughing, eating too much, and talking football. The tall grandfather clock in the foyer struck eight and I laughed and said, "Oh good! Walmart's open; let's go start our shopping!" Everyone laughed and we all kind of took a minute to realize where we were and who we were with; we truly were thankful to be together in that moment.

I've done the Black Friday shopping thing before. While I understand the kinds of deals you can get when you shop on Black Friday, isn't it more important to spend time with your family instead of getting cheap gifts for them? And, let's be honest, how much of what you buy on Black Friday is really for your family? The two times I went Black Friday shopping, I did get most of the gifts on my list, but I also was sucked in by the amazing sales and bought a lot of things for myself.

It feels like we are pushed to buy buy buy for our family because that will show them that we love them. But are the presents what we really remember? I don't remember any of the gifts I got for my family on either Black Friday trip. I don't remember the things I got for myself on either trip. I don't really remember the gifts I've received for Christmases that aren't things I still use frequently (dress form, Cricut, sewing machine). I do remember the Thanksgivings and Christmases I've shared with my family in terms of conversations, dinners, and laughter.

I absolutely am about to take advantage of Cyber Monday to buy our Christmas cards. I love VistaPrint's selection and there are some great deals today. Other than that, my fiancé and I actually might be making all of the presents we give to people this year. I feel like homemade gifts mean more to family. My mom knitted me socks a couple of years ago; I still wear them and think about my mom every time I do. I've cross-stitched a couple of things for my grandparents and they framed them and hung them in their house. My dad wrote a book of poetry and gave it to us a few years ago and I still have it on my bookshelf. These gifts mean so much more than just running to the store, getting into a brawl, grabbing something off a shelf, and wrapping it.

My challenge to you (and myself) this holiday season is to take a second to stop, take stock of your family, and be grateful. My family isn't perfect, but I am so grateful to have every one of my relatives in my family. If you choose to give gifts this year, give something that you know means something both to you and the recipient of the gift.

Be in the moment every moment this holiday.

L to R: Emily (sister), me, Bridget (sister), Brandan (brother)

No comments:

Post a Comment